Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Cut Above

She and I cook. A lot. That means we cut. A lot! And since we cut so much, I have really been jonesing for a new knife. The knives that we have are fine, but, you know, not outstanding. I was thinking that a shiny new professional grade 8" Chef knife would fit the bill nicely. So when I heard that a new Sur La Table had just opened up in King of Prussia, I practically flew over there. Once I was in the store and scoping out the knife selection, a nice fella named Adam or Alan or Adamantium (sorry, I can't quite remember) asked if he could show me a few of them. Absolutely, Amandalin, show away! Man, were they nice! I was testing this one and that one and then, as if in a dream, he said "Let me show you one that I think you will like." Then with just the smallest of flourishes he puts before me the holy grail. Seriously, clouds parted, the sun shone through and angels started singing. There, lying in front of me, right on his cutting board was the Shun 8" Hollow Ground Chef's Knife.

"Here", AdamAnt says to me, "cut this carrot." He had an odd smile on his face as he said this, as if he knew something that I did not. He did. I picked up the knife. It felt good. I weighed it in my hand. Perfect. I looked at the markings on the steel. Beautiful.

I cut the carrot.

My response to that simple cut is difficult to put into words. First, I sort of giggled. Then AlanFunt giggled too. We were both suddenly in the same club. We both knew. This knife was different.

Folks, make no mistake, this is a razor blade with a handle. I have NEVER before cut with anything that sharp, that balanced, that comfortable in my hand. Suddenly price was no object. It must be mine. And, happily for me, about 10 minutes later, it was.

I'm in love. Check it out. Is it not a beauty? I'd talk a bit more about it but I really must go cut something. Anything. I'm in a cutting place right now.

(click to embiggen)

3 comments:

cassie-b said...

It looks good.

I love a great knife.

He and She said...

That's a sweet cutting board, too!

Pam D said...

Better buy some band aids too!!! That looks sharp!! Happy cutting!!! I Love a good knife too!