Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day Fifty


She Said:

We have sort of been out of synch with our own Julie/Julia Project. Things have gotten in the way of our cooking but we did do a tiny bit last night. After all, we had gone to the farmer's market on Saturday and had fresh things we needed to use. So we did.

We had a couple of buffalo hot dogs, just cut up on the plate. We got them from the farmer's market, of course. They did not taste like hot dogs. They tasted more like summer sausage, and that's not bad. I made up a side dish of Rice-a-Roni Rice Pilaf, which is always good. And then came the scary part.

This is from Serving Up the Harvest by Andrea Chesman.

Warm Mushroom Salad

8 cups arugula leaves (we got this from the farmer's market)
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound mixed mushrooms, quartered or cut into wedges (we had a half pound each of crimini and dried morel mushrooms from the farmer's market - we reconstituted the morels before cooking, naturally!)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried (it was raining and I was tired so I didn't go out to pick fresh thyme - I used dried)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Freshly shaved Parmesan

1. Put the arugula in a large salad bowl. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the lemon juice. Toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among four salad plates or arrange on a large platter.

2. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and let cook undisturbed until golden on the bottoms, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme, stir, and continue to cook until the mushrooms are tender throughout, about 4 minutes longer.

3. Stir in the vinegar and let cook until the vinegar is mostly absorbed. Season to taste with more salt and pepper.

4. Spoon the mushroom mixture over the arugula. Top with a few curls of shaved Parmesan. Serve at once.


I knew that this was going to be awful for me. I am iffy on mushrooms and they really can't be the star of the show for me to eat them. But I gave it the old college try. And you know what? It was pretty damn good. This was my first taste of morel mushrooms and, oh yes, I will be back! They are fantastic!

(But I learned that you mustn't eat them raw - be sure to cook your morels!)

I doubt that I would ever suggest that we make this again but He might want it again some day and I will be happy to partake.

Oh, and this was also our first taste of arugula. (I know, where have we been living? Under a rock??) Wow - what a flavor! I wouldn't have thought you could get that much distance between a plain lettuce like iceberg and a powerful green like arugula, but there you have it. Distance with a capital D! It was quite tasty.

Day 50/365:Recipe 28/175

No comments: