Sunday, May 2, 2010

I believe I have died and gone to heaven.

She Said:

I just can't wait to post about this. He chose another recipe from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics cookbook for breakfast (which turned out to be an early lunch) and I believe I have now eaten the greatest food on earth.

Creamy Cheddar Grits

2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup fine quick-cooking grits (not instant)
1¼ cups half-and-half
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1½ cups aged sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (4 ounces)
½ cup chopped scallions, white and green parts (4 scallions)
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Grated Cheddar and chopped scallions, for garnish

Bring 4 cups of water to boil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan. Add the salt, then slowly add the grits in a thin, steady stream, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the grits thicken, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the half-and-half and butter to the grits and stir. The mixture will seem thin but it will thicken as it cooks. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes, until very smooth and creamy. Off the heat, stir in the Cheddar, scallions, and pepper. Season to taste and serve hot with a sprinkle of grated cheese and scallions.


He made some very delicious fried eggs to go with this and I just kept saying how unbelievable the meal was. Truly unbelievable. I haven't had a whole lot of grits in my life but these are hands-down the best I have ever had!

1 comment:

cassie-b said...

I make grits often, but have never made cheese grits. They didn't sound that good. But I'll take your word for it and give them a try. Thanks