Thursday, August 5, 2010

Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon

He Said:

Well, we did it. Yesterday, She and I launched into Julia Child's (in)famous recipe for boeuf bourguignon. It was a little intimidating at first but together we overcame our unreasonable fears and forged ahead. First order of business, I contacted our butcher to find out if they had any chunk bacon with the rind on it as this has been impossible to find. They did! So off I went to the butcher to get some yummy bacon. We had a bunch of stuff to do and didn't get around to cooking until about 3:00 which made me a little nervous just because this meal takes so long to make. It turned out that our timing was perfect. Our techniques were also perfect. Our ingredients were perfect. We paid close attention to everything, including the extra recipes needed for the small onions (harvested from our backyard, thankyouverymuch) and the mushrooms (harvested.....well, somewhere else, thank god). Thus the onions and the mushrooms turned out perfect. We boiled and braised and baked and sauteed for about four hours. Then, we tasted.

Perfect.

I mean, really perfect. This meal is succulent. It is a warming, simple, comforting meal that just snuggles up to you and sings softly in your ear. Ok, maybe that's a bit much, but dayumm! This meal is SO delicious! And since She and I worked on it together it was really fun to make. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I would put the recipe here but it is really long and besides, it can be found all over the interwebs.

I have always heard people having a rough time with this recipe and I think I now know why. There is a fair amount of wait time with this recipe and I think people are using that as nap time. That is a big mistake! Do NOT go to sleep! Even while you are waiting you can work on the onions or the mushrooms or some side dish or set the table or a million other things. Just don't nap. You will regret it!

Oh, we also served this with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, some buttered peas and a great French Bordeaux. Fantastic! Deeelish! Scrumpdillicious! What's that other word I'm looking for? Oh, I know....

Perfect.

No comments: