Monday, April 26, 2010

Day Twenty-Seven

She Said:

We skipped Day Twenty-Six due to overindulgence on Day Twenty-Five. Booze, not food. So, we picked back up on Day Twenty-Seven. Two recipes to count toward our own Julie/Julia Project. These are both from Serving Up the Harvest by Andrea Chesman.

Creamy Asparagus Fettucine

1 pound asparagus (about 20 medium-thick spears)
1 pound fettucine
1 large red bell pepper, roasted and cut into strips (we used jarred, since we had it on hand)
1 pound ricotta cheese, at room temperature
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
⅓ cup chopped fresh chives, garlic chives, or scallions (we used scallions)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Begin heating a large pot of salted water.

2. Snap off and discard the woody ends of the asparagus. Cut off the tips of the asparagus spears and reserve. Cut the spears into 1½-inch lengths.

3. When the water comes to a boil, add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tips and cook until the asparagus is just tender, about 2 minutes longer. Using a large skimmer or slotted spoon, remove the asparagus and transfer to a bowl. Cover and keep warm.

4. Cook the fettucine in the water until al dente. Remove ½ cup of the cooking water. Briefly drain the fettucine in a colander and return it to the pot, along with the asparagus.

5. Add the roasted pepper, ricotta, Parmesan, and chives. Toss well, adding the reserved cooking water as needed to make a creamy sauce. Season generously with salt and pepper.

6. Serve hot, passing additional Parmesan at the table.


I think this recipe has potential, but the way we ended up making it, it was like noodles coated with kindergarten paste. I think we could tweak it to make it better - add some chicken or vegetable broth, maybe, and use low-fat ricotta instead of the full-fat variety that we used. It was quite tasty - just way too thick and gummy.

The other recipe He made was for lunches this week. I haven't had any yet (as I'm feeling quite under the weather) but I'm sure I will.

Classic Potato Salad

2½ pounds waxy or all-purpose potatoes
3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
2 large celery stalks, finely chopped
½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
½ large sweet onion or small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup boiled salad dressing, such as Miracle Whip, or more to taste
2 tablespoons chopped dill pickle or sweet pickle relish, or more to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Paprika, to garnish

1. Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and fill with enough cold water to cover the potatoes by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size. Don't overcook. Drain well and let cool.

2. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and slice them into ½-inch cubes.

3. Combine the potatoes, eggs, celery, bell pepper, and onion in a large mixing bowl. Add the dressing and pickles. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Add more dressing if the salad seems dry. Adjust the flavor with additional pickles and salt and pepper, if desired. Chill well. The salad will develop flavor as it sits.

4. Just before serving, taste and adjust the seasoning. Sprinkle paprika on top to garnish.


The funny thing is that I grew up on Miracle Whip. My mother never had real mayonnaise in the house and the first time I tried mayonnaise, I hated it! But since I've been out of my parents' house, I've used mayonnaise almost exclusively and it was actually a nice reminiscence to go buy a jar of Miracle Whip. I plan to use it and relive those younger years. (I swear, when I was little, I could eat that stuff by the spoonful. My mom used to put out a platter of sliced tomatoes and iceberg lettuce with a bowl of Miracle Whip in the center. Since I couldn't stand tomatoes, I used to just slather Miracle Whip on the almost-tasteless iceberg lettuce and truly, truly enjoy myself. And that's about as close to eating it by the spoonful as you can get without actually doing the deed. Mmmm...Miracle Whip!)

Day 27/365:Recipes 19 and 20/175

No comments: