Friday, April 30, 2010

Viva la California!

He Said:

Every Thursday night, She and I (try to) have a 'pizza, wine and a movie' night. Last night was no exception. The pizza that we had was fantastic (Vince and Tony's, sausage, ground beef, black olives and extra cheese) and the wine was very good (can't remember offhand what it was, though) but that's not what I am here to talk about. I'm here to talk about the movie that we watched.

Bottle Shock.

I knew that I would like the story and I really wanted to love the movie. It had some really good actors and a very interesting story to tell. It's the story behind the (now) famous blind taste test between French wines and new upstart California wines held in Paris in 1976. The results shocked the world and changed the global world map forever. Well, I ended up loving the story and sort of, mostly liking the movie. I found the movie to be a little slow moving and very (if you'll pardon the pun) dry. I had hoped for better from Alan Rickman and wanted more of Eliza Dushku. My favorite character was actually Dennis Farina, in a non-gangster role. Go figure.

While it was certainly not my favorite movie in the world, I still recommend that you see it. The story really is wonderful and there are some funny, dramatic and heartwarming moments that are certainly worth the price of a rental.

Bottle Shock. One thumb up. Easy, enjoyable fare. Well not, perhaps, if you're French. In that case, perhaps Belle de Jour would be a better choice.

Cheers!

--------------------------------

She Said:

I think that I enjoyed the movie more than He did, mostly because I was guzzling the wine we were drinking! (I'm on vacation today and I wasn't about to slow down!)

My favorite character was Gustavo. Loved him! And our friends actually met the guy that the character was based on, so we're like two degrees of Kevin Bacon Gustavo. I'm sure he wants us to come over for dinner.

I digress. The movie made me really want to learn more about wine - not to mention sample some of the Chateau Montelena and Gustavo Thrace wine!

(Belle de Jour? The first (and last) movie I have ever wanted to get up and leave. And now I know why. I'm not French!)

No comments: